Monday, July 28, 2008

Tiring... How should we teach them?

Friday:

Went to work. Left at 5pm so that I can attend my lesson. Took the mrt with the Sardines Photobucket from Jurong East to Somerset and sat at lesson for 3 hrs. I stood all the on the mrt so even though I was feeling tired and kept yawning at the lesson, I'm glad I can sit down. Furthermore, I've chosen someone good as a teacher. Although he is the sort of BPS 100% (meaning 100% buay pai sei meaning 100% thick skin) but I can understand most of what he said. His method of study is also the same as mine. That helped a lot but I'm still too lazy to revise my books.


On the way back home, I stood again from Somerset back to Bukit Gombak. On the way there was this girl around 8 or 9 years old. Sending sms on her phone. . . . . to her father . . . . . who was standing right in front of her. Although her father told her not to do it or else the little girl will pay for her phone bill, he said it in a tone even a baby wouldn't be convinced.


In this world where technology is cheap and even little primary school kids own hand phones, how do we teach the kids how to appreciate the things that their parents buy/provide for them? Especially those items that are not essential. At what age should kids start to own their hand phones, computers or be allowed to (choose) play computer games independently?


What are essential items then? Food, accommodation, clothes and schooling? But some may argue that at this century, items like hand phones and computers are also essential. (Although there are still a lot of people who don't have computers and in some other countries, food is scarce)


My husband and I agreed with each other that our kids cannot have hand phones before 15 years old and they shall earn their own non-essential expenses whether they give tuition to earn the money or help with housework to earn for themselves. That was how I went through right up to University. I gave tuition to pay my own hand phone bills and even hostel fees.

How do you guys plan to teach your kids regarding this?

No comments:

Post a Comment